SUP Yoga is a variation of stand up paddle boarding (SUP) combined with yoga. Although this may sound impossible, here are 10 reasons why you must try!
1. It's a better workout. Since SUP Yoga takes place on the water, your core gets a killer workout while engaged to help you keep balanced.
2. Refine your technique. You will become in tune with your poses. For example, if you tend to rely on one side of your body than the other for balance, having your board on the water will let you know.
3. It's more calming. Being outside in nature has a total zen effect that a classroom setting can't provide. The sensation of floating helps to alleviate stresses we tend to carry in our shoulders.
4. Helps to focus on your breath. The gentle sound of water splashing your board helps to further relax on the most important aspect: your breath.
5. It's empowering. SUP yoga helps you let go of your fear of falling as it takes place on the water. After a session, you will leaving feeling refreshed, rejuvenated and empowered.
6. It's fun. As we say, if you're not falling, you're not trying! SUP Yoga helps to get you out of a normal classroom routine which alleviates boredom. This method will keep you on your toes (literally).
7. It can be intimidating. If you've never SUP'd or done much yoga, feeling like a newbie can be a challenge, not to mention the possibility of falling into the water. However, this intimidation provides just enough adrenaline to help you stay focused and motivated.
8 . Fall 7 times, get up 8. SUP Yoga is a real life example of if you fall, you have to get back up. And on hot days, a splash in the water has never felt better!
9. It's a challenge. SUP Yoga is much more challenging than being on a mat on a solid floor. As we noted earlier, it helps to increase your core strength and balance.
10. It's scenic. One of our top reasons to try SUP yoga is the scenery. There's something about fresh air, sunshine and zen potential that just can't be beat.